St Augustine

Snave

It is possible that a small private chapel stood on this site before the present building was commenced in the late 13th century. The east end is unusual in that the Lady Chapel (more recently used as a school room) vies for importance with the chancel. Declared redundant in 1983, St Augustine is now entirely maintained by the Romney Marsh Historic Churches Trust. The church is perhaps seen at its best in the spring amidst a carpet of daffodils.

View of Saint Augustine's church Snave, on top of a small gassy mound, with blooming yellow daffodils in the foreground
Distant view of Saint Augustine's church Snave, at the end of an avenue of young trees, with blooming yellow daffodils
Distant view of Saint Augustine's church Snave, at the end of an avenue of young trees, with blooming yellow daffodils
Close up of the Royal Arms of George II dated 1735, elaborately painted in red, blue, grey and gold

Church Access Arrangements

The Church (redundant) is always open.

Map Location of St Augustine, Snave (TN26 2QJ)

Title Address Description
St Augustine
A2070, Ashford TN26, UKSnave, TN26 2QJ