St Clement

Old Romney

St Clement was built in the mid 12th century with a nave and chancel and the aisles were added in 13th century by simply cutting through the thick Norman walls. The interior has a complete set of 18th century fittings including a gallery and box pews. However these are now painted pink following a request from a film company who came to Romney Marsh to make a film based on the smuggling adventure ‘Dr Syn’, written by Russell Thorndike. The film director Derek Jarman is buried in the churchyard.

Exterior view of Saint Clement's church Old Romney across the churchyard, over a gate in the wooden fence against a blue sky
View of two black panels on reredos with gold lettering listing the Ten Commandments, through a stone archway in the wall
Close up view of the Royal Arms of George III, commemorating George Buckhurst and John White, Church Wardens, dated 1800
Early 14th Century rectangular stone font with deep black marble bowl on rectangular, chamfered, roll-stopped central pillar
Distant view of Saint Clement's church and churchyard surrounded by trees taken across flooded field against a cloudy sky

Church Access Arrangements

Usually open. Custodian, Charlotte Wilkinson 01797 362685. Further information about the local church community may be found on the website of the Romney Marsh Benefice https://romneychurches.org/.

Map Location of St Clement, Old Romney (TN29 0HP)

Title Address Description
St Clement
A259, Romney Marsh TN29 0HP, UKOld Romney, TN29 0HP