St Nicholas

New Romney

Built in the mid 12th century under the patronage of the archbishops of Canterbury, the nave retains its original low Norman arcades with alternating round and octagonal Caen stone piers. By contrast, the grand 14th century east end is spacious and light with tall, slim piers of Kentish rag stone and three magnificent reticulated tracery windows. The carved door surround of the Norman west door was restored in 2013 to reveal the beauty of the golden Caen stone.

Exterior view of the north side of Saint Nicholas' Church, New Romney, taken from the road over the churchyard wall
Close-up of the royal Arms of Queen Ann dated 1704, richly painted in gold on a black background
Close-up of the royal Arms of Queen Ann dated 1704, richly painted in gold on a black background
Exterior view of the eastern end of the church showing the large east windows across the graves in the churchyard

Church Access Arrangements

The Church is open 10 – 2 in winter and 10 – 4 in summer. Church Warden Ann Rolfe 01797 362719. Further information about the local church community may be found on the website of the Romney Marsh Benefice https://romneychurches.org/.

Map Location of St Nicholas, New Romney (TN28 8EU)

Title Address Description
St Nicholas
1 Church Rd, New Romney TN28 8AR, UKNew Romney, TN28 8EU