St George

Ivychurch

Built under the patronage of the archbishops of Canterbury, St George is an exceptionally large parish church measuring 40.5m (133ft) in length, reflecting the prestige of the archbishops rather than the size of the parish, which has always been small. The beautifully carved 15th century choir stalls remain, and an octagonal Kentish rag stone font of the same period. Ivychurch has long been associated with smugglers, and legend has it that at times services could not be held because of the amount of contraband stored in the church.

Exterior view of east end of Saint George’s Church, Ivychurch, across a snow covered churchyard, framed beneath a blue sky
Interior view of church, looking across the altar rail, showing the wooden choir stalls framed by stone arches
Close up of the wooden screens between stone arches
Close up of the Font: a plain octagonal bowl, on a large stone stem, raised on two stone steps
Close up of the raised wooden pulpit, showing the hexagonal design
Close up of the Royal Arms of George III dated 1775 in a deeply patterned stone frame over the south door

Church Access Arrangements

Usually open. Key at Church Slip, next but one to the Church. Church Warden Mrs Margaret Waite, 01797 344283. Further information about the local church community may be found on the website of the Romney Marsh Benefice https://romneychurches.org/.

Map Location of St George, Ivychurch (TN29 0AL)

Title Address Description
St George
Ivychurch Rd, Romney Marsh TN29 0AN, UKIvychurch, TN29 0AL